Tuesday, September 23, 2008

'That life is in you!'

John 21:25
25 And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen.
When I read this last verse in the book of John, I thought to myself, "Isn't John exaggerating here?" I mean, Jesus earthly ministry only lasted three years. No doubt He accomplished a great deal, but certainly not to the point that if the deeds He did were recorded one by one, "even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written".

But I know that the Holy Spirit, in inspiring the Gospel of John, did not exaggerate or lie. Jesus' life must really have been so full -- of accomplishments, so infinite, that it was just too big to be contained in books.

So I said, "Wow, what a life!" Then, I believe the Spirit said, "That life is in you!" That blew my mind. You mean that perfect, infinite life that is so full of achievements, miracles, power, love and wisdom is in me? Well, isn't Christ in me? (Colossians 1:27) Am I not in Christ? (2 Corinthians 5:17)

This means that all the life and power of Christ to live a life that is so full and so infinite resides in me. Did not Jesus say, "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father"?

No comments: