Wednesday, August 27, 2008

God was smiling down on me -- rainbow around the sun

Have you ever seen a rainbow encircling the sun?

I saw this awesome phenomenon in the sky once sometime in 2000. I was having a lunch picnic with my colleagues at the beach. After a while, I happened to look up and there it was, right above my head -- a perfect, circular rainbow around a bright noon sun!


While the rainbow here is not the one I saw, it is nonetheless very similar.

I enjoyed the special moment. I have seen many rainbows, but it was the first time I was seeing a rainbow around the sun. And I just felt like the Sun of Righteousness, Jesus, was on His throne looking down at me and smiling.
Revelation 4:3
3 And He who sat there was like a jasper and a sardius stone in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne, in appearance like an emerald.
I saw a double rainbow once too, while having my honeymoon in Mauritius. It was a beautiful morning on the beach. One for me, one for my wife!

Do you know what the rainbow in the Bible symbolises? Why did I say earlier that I felt that God was smiling on me?

Because the rainbow symbolises God's promise: "I will never be angry with you again, nor condemn you!" It reminds us of His new covenant of grace and peace with us.
Genesis 9:11-13
11 Thus I establish My covenant with you: Never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood; never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth."
12 And God said: "This is the sign of the covenant which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:

13 I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth.


Isaiah 54:9-10

9 "For this is like the waters of Noah to Me; for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah would no longer cover the earth, so have I sworn that I would not be angry with you, nor rebuke you.

10 For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but My kindness shall not depart from you, nor shall My covenant of peace be removed,"
So the next time you see a rainbow, just remember this: God is not angry with you, nor does He condemn you. Mountains and hills may be removed, but His kindness will never depart from you!

No comments: