Saturday, August 30, 2008

The sign of sign and wonder of wonders -- when I survey the wondrous cross

All these thoughts that I am about to share came to me one morning, I believe, by the Spirit.

I woke up early that morning and was unable to go back to sleep. Thoughts were flying across my mind. Not good thoughts -- problems, worries, fears… So I said to myself, "I need to replace these thoughts or I'll go crazy. I need to meditate on something good. I will meditate on the majesty of Christ. He's the best subject to meditate on." That's my way of "beholding" Him.

So which story in the Bible should I meditate on, I asked myself.


The healing of the nobleman's son

I had read the first five chapters of the book of John the night before but nothing got in. So I just decided to recall one thing that Jesus did: The healing of the nobleman’s son in chapter 4.

The healing of the nobleman's son

Jesus was in Galilee when a nobleman from Capernaum came imploring Him to heal his son who was sick at home, actually, at the point of death. I thought about the two things which Jesus said:
John 4:48
48… "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will by no means believe."

John 4:50
50… "Go your way; your son lives."
I thought to the Lord, "Wow, Jesus, You are so awesome -- just one simple sentence out of your mouth and the life-threatening problem was solved. You didn't even have to go to the man's house to lay hands on his dying son. You only had to speak six words. And those powerful words of yours -- every syllable -- transcended time and space, and blasted resurrection life into the boy. Big problem solved, just like that! No wonder you are God! No question about it! That’s so cool!"

I continued, "You know, for us, we can pray and pray, command and command till the cows come home, confess and confess till we're blue in the face, and the problem still persists! Gosh, how is it You can do it and we can't seem to do it?"


Why did Jesus have all the faith in the universe?

So I wondered why Jesus was so confident that what He said just once would surely come to pass. I mean, how is it that He had all the faith in the universe, not doubting even once?

The answer came in a short while. It was so simple: Because He knew without a doubt that He Himself was going to the cross to die for the sins and the sicknesses of that boy. He was going to die so that that boy could live. He was going to die young at the age of 33, so that that boy could live to a ripe old age, full of years. And as far as Jesus was concerned, His sacrifice was already a done deal. Doesn't the Bible talk about the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world? The cross indeed transcends time and space.

I then said to myself, "Well, if we are going to have any faith to do anything, like pray for healing, we need to have a some degree of revelation that Jesus indeed went to the cross and died for our sins and sicknesses. That has to be our rock-solid foundation for believing for any miracle or blessing."

But how are we going to get that? We weren't there at the cross. It's not fair. We didn't see Him die. All that was more than 2,000 years ago! We live in the here and now.

Then, I thought about the other thing Jesus said: "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will by no means believe."

Hmmm… Jesus wasn't exactly in a "good mood" if I may put it that way. Yet, He could still perform the miracle. That itself was awesome to me. And isn't what He said so true? Before we can believe, we need to see a sign, and then probably another, and another, just to reconfirm and double-reconfirm! We need to see, hear or feel something. "Show me a sign! Then, I'll believe!" That's our human nature. That's our flesh.

While I was meditating on all this, I wondered how what I was receiving could be linked to the Holy Communion, since I sometimes have to lead the Holy Communion after our department lunch on Tuesdays. We take turns and I don't like to just go through the motion if I can help it. So was there something of value that I could share that would help my colleagues believe?


The elements are your proof

Then, this came to my mind: "The elements you hold in your hand during Communion -- the bread and the wine -- are all the physical evidences you need today. They are the 'signs and wonders' that I went to the cross and died for your sins and sicknesses."

In other words, my friend, when you partake of the Holy Communion, you hold in your hands the "signs and wonders" to help you believe for your miracle. Many of us would prefer God to split the ceiling, descend with lightning and thunder, and speak to us audibly. But that doesn't seem to happen, does it, no matter how much we pray for it!

No, God is telling us that all we need to see, taste, touch and smell are the bread and wine. So partake seeing and believing, and "Go your way".


Go and live!

What does "Go your way mean"? Go! Live out the dreams that God has birthed in your heart. Go! and enjoy life. Go! and do what you have always wanted to do. Go your way! Why can you do that? Because "your son shall live". That near-death situation in your life shall have life!

Here's one last thought: You know, that man could have gone shopping in Galilee or had St Peter's fish for lunch at a nice restaurant. Why not? His son was already healed the moment Jesus spoke those words. He didn't have to worry about it. The Bible says that "the man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him, and he went his way". So if you believe, you will go your way. You will not argue, reason and question -- "but… but… but…" -- till you are paralysed by analyses. No, you will go your way. So go! Having partaken, having seen, having believed, go and live life to the fullest for the glory of God!

No comments: